Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

February 2, 2011

Love: Sandy

Today I am introducing you to Sandy Vas, and her marvelous family.

I met Sandy (gosh, really how long ago?), over ten years ago. We were both involved in Emmaus, and she was the older sister my heart longed for my entire life (sounds dramatic, but with two older brothers, yes there was an older sister yearn in my heart that was unmet). She and Tony were friends, best friends before one day Sandy had a revelation at the kitchen table before this beloved friend, and realized that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. He knew that he loved her the entire time. She was a little slow. But together they moved forward and I was asked to participate in their wedding. A little later Lucas came. I moved to Virginia. We lost touch. I don't know how we reconnected, but I do know that since then I have again enjoyed her intentional conversation, questions, prayers, support, encouragement, love, mentorship, leadership, and sisterhood. There was no time lost in the quiet. We picked up exactly where we left off. Exactly... right there.

This past summer I landed in Connecticut from Oregon with four days before China. Graciously her girls let me move into their bedroom for a few days. I was scrambled in trying to relocate everything I had in my car to get ready for the month away. Her kids played with me and loved on me endlessly. Sandy and Tony talked to me honestly and frankly about the path I was on, and together they supported me during what was an incredibly painful time. I do not think I could have gone to China if not for their love those days specifically. Sandy gave me an idea that a friend and I should partner in prayer at the same time each day- in the time difference we would be praying at the same exact time. She assured me that the time would be sacred and intentional. Looking back on my experience in China there are countless memories and moments in which I hold tenderly close to my heart. But that time of prayer... each day after my lunch... was intimate and real and allowed me to be vulnerable before the Lord regarding what was left at home because I knew I wasn't praying alone. Honestly. It is what helped prepare me for my return home to Virginia, and to believe that anything is possible. Anything. That the bottom isn't the end, its just where you get to crouch down real low and jump. Up. To higher things.

I love her. And her family. While I do not wish to live in Connecticut again, I do wish that we lived right next door to each other and we could laugh about life, watch Grey's Anatomy together, and share how marvelously loved we are in Christ. Not to mention, I love those precious little people of hers.

On a side note, Sandy and Tony are independent distributor's for Send Out Cards. It's a great home business that is actually perfect for mail senders! It's a company that will print your cards, address them, put postage on them, and send them out from the comfort of your home. Their postcard is a beloved example of which. And their signatures? Are all theirs!
Their website is: www.sendoutcards.com/tonyandsandy

Kari,
Has anyone told you that they love you yet today??

We do!! MWAH!
Love and smooches,

Sandy, Tony, Lucas, Mary, Renee
xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment