Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

February 15, 2011

ERMS: Katie Raymond-Santo

A blast from the past. A good one. Thanks to Facebook a childhood best friend and I can continue to be in touch. We can post random jokes. Funny things found online. Mostly, we are able to remember. I admit that sometimes I get incredibly consumed in my adult life that I am not able to just reflect on the goodness that came from growing up in my small town (which after living in the small town of Lexington, I realize that Ridgefield: not so small).

Katie and I used to meet up everyday in the summers and ride bikes into town. We'd get Hot Dogs for lunch at Chez Leonard, or we'd get pizza at Venice. We'd laugh and gallivant. We went through a phase of being obsessed with playing tennis, even though we were not very good. We fought a lot, I think that's fair to say... and I know that it was truly because we are both incredibly passionate and stubborn people. I always told Katie what I thought, and she always made sure to do the same. A few years ago when I was in Ridgefield we met for dinner. Not a single thing was different. We laughed. A lot. And we drove around having nothing to do, just wanted to continue the evening remembering our childhood and teenage years. Like the "Invisible Man" music obsession, The View, days in the City, the 8 hour phone conversation we had once as we hid in our bedroom closets (I don't know why we just didn't hang out that day). Getting thrown out of English class for uncontrollable and contagious giggles. So many more come to mind as I write this, that I can only smile.

I think we all have people like this in our lives. That regardless of the time, distance, and space that when you correspond its just like there was no time since the last time. Thanks to Facebook we can be more in touch, and her contribution to this project came as a very warm and tender surprise. It's encouraging to know that whom we have loved and known we will always love and know. The shape of the friendship changes as the landscape of our lives do- but I know that without a doubt that whenever Katie and I are in the same place again, we will laugh... and that the stories I will tell my kids about her will always have her be the crazier one. Because... she always was.

Words fail my love and gratitude for your arrival in my mailbox.
It completely, like all the others ones have before it- took me by surprise.
Loved it. AND go Hallmark for printing postcards!! How fun!



Hey Kari-
We certainly were the "Queens of ERMS," right? Remember the days of laughing in Mrs. Vikstrom's class or hanging out with Mrs. Kehoe in the office? Wouldn't it be cool if life were that "simple" now? :)
I wouldn't trade those days for anything. They gave me so many memories that I will be passing along to my kids one day. "Yes, your Aunt Kari was a little more crazy than your mom."
Love you!
Katie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment