Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

January 4, 2011

From a small idea...

From a small idea... To a BIG project.

As you know with me, nothing is ever small or particularly simple. I had a friend suggest recently that we should become pen pals. I have one pen pal right now, Kathryn- I say I have her has a pen pal but the truth is, I am a horrible pen pal and have not written her back in months. I still have her birthday card sitting here at my desk, but I did get her Christmas card out in the mail: Go Me. I have never been a "New Years Resolution" type- but this year, being a better letter writer is my resolution for the new year.

Anyway... so I began to think this idea of pen pals out loud with some special friends, and I started to reflect on what I loved most about traveling. If you have ever asked me for travel tips, advice, or perspective you will know that my number one piece of advice next to packing simply in common colors that can mix and match easily, is that you HAVE TO, absolutely HAVE TO send postcards home- to YOURSELF. I have always done it. Taking the time to write a few thoughts about what you saw, how you felt, what you thought about, a prayer, dream, wish, or my most favorite "the top ten" of all those things combined, will become a time machine when you return from the adventure complete. I have countless postcards that I have written to myself that stir different emotions in their recollection then photo's alone, or my memory can support.

And while my full time travel and gallivanting schedule has been replaced by full time employment, I admit I miss the time reflecting and writing a few quick thoughts on a postcard, placing the 28 cent stamp on it and mailing it home. My refrigerator is covered with postcards I have both been sent by self, brothers, sisters, and best friends. They capture a time. A season. A view. I love their messages, and I love that those that have loved me best know that to send a postcard you are sending a life line of love and friendship in a way a phone call, text, or email can't.

This year I want to take what I loved from away, and bring it home. And so I plan to document the journey like I did when away, now at home via the USPS on a postcard. I have countless blank ones purchased never sent, or pictures I just really liked, that I plan to use. Having returned and settled back into Lexington after a few years of being everywhere else, I am excited to use this form of communication to share this great huge life of joy, love, friendship, hardship, and exploration. Adventure is everywhere. I am thankful for Matty's Christmas postcard that expresses it perfectly:



"...I once thought that life was experienced in the grandeur of adventure and excitement (and it is), but more so I've discovered life in the everyday. God has graced us with extraordinary life where we are... My hope for your holiday and coming year is that you may see the great love and grace of our Lord in the extraordinary life He's given you, just where you are!"

How does this impact you?

Well... this small idea of documenting the journey so that January 1, 2012 I could create a coffee table book expanded as I shared this idea with my friends. The invitation has grown, and so if you happen to be at home at Starbucks, or riding an elephants back in Thailand and want to include your journey in this adventure send me a postcard. I will scan and post those I get sent, and will regularly update my own.

Please send all postcards to me @:
34 White Oak Lane, Lexington Virginia 24450

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited about this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will send you some from Europe!!! And other places too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so in! I am off on some travels in 8 days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be fun! Plus I'm the first post card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! I would love to participate!

    ReplyDelete