Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

March 6, 2011

Sweets for the Sweet May 2000: Barb

I have countless letters, cards, and pieces of encouragement with this beloved woman's handwriting on it. I recognize it instantly, and at once I am made peaceful and content in the way she has pursued my heart to know Jesus better since I was 3 years old. She has impacted so many people over the years, and I always delight when I connect another dot in the myriad group of people we know and love. This happened often when I was on YL Staff at Rockbridge.

It's been awhile since we have been able to sit down and talk about what we are learning in life, our families, struggles, and triumphs. I miss her. But her messages are tucked away in cute boxes full of prized letters, and in the hunt for today's Sunday Sentimental offering I found one covered in Hershey Kisses, and knew before flipping it over what the message said. The woman who sent it has been a treasured friend/mentor/counselor/sister, and of course and most tenderly: a mother figure in my life. I love her, and today this message seemed particularly fitting (as always) about the paths and journeys of life, and how in the midst of all that we do not know, can not control, and do not understand- leaning on Christ with all we can, be, and do in acknowledging his power and sovereignty our paths will be made straight. This reminder never gets old. I am thankful for such an amazing woman to remind me in postcards, letters, and lunches over her famous chicken salad that Jesus is forever. His promises are good and real. And that along the road, she is also there encouraging me to stay on the course in confidence that the Lord is at work, and His work is always good.

I also love that for 27 years of my life, she has called me Kari Berri. It's familiar, maternal, and I love it. Love love love it.



"sweets for the sweet"! 5-31-00

Dearest Kari Berri: Just a thought after our great chat... "Trust in the Lord with all your heart- lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."!! That little Proverb always helps us keep on track! A far as "forever" goes- "Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion." Forever. Little step by little step!! Love, Barbara Gillan

No comments:

Post a Comment