Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

March 29, 2011

Spring Break: Kristyn

Recently I was asked what I was most excited about doing with Kristyn when she came to visit. My response was easy. "Just be with her." Some people are like that. It doesn't matter where you go or what you do. Those things are great (and yes, we've done some amazingly fun things together)... but the best things, and the best time is that when I am just in her company. I like who I am. I like that I'm completely me. I talk a mile a minute, I laugh at ridiculous things, I can cry one second and then break out into Lady Gaga the next. She has introduced me to a television show in which I sob for 60 minutes straight. We can sit and play hours of Mario Bros. She snuggles with Gracie like they have been together since the beginning. I like the sound of my voice, and I love that she truly hears me.

I am often asked about my family, and how many sisters I have. I always and without hesitation consider and count her. She's a treasure. Family seems too small a word to label, and sister sometimes feels generic. But that is what she has become. My sisters love and have embraced her. I love reading how they will comment on each other's Facebook status updates, and I am filled with gratitude on how intimately precious my world is once those I love, know and love each other too!

During her visit here during Spring Break we were talking about some very large and big life plans, dreams, hopes, realities, and truths (she is about to graduate college in one month!) We talked about people who mind and how they don't matter. Everyone is always going to have a voice, opinion, and point of view. I shared with her that the one that she needs to remember to cultivate and listen to is her own. In the midst of this very profound and intimate conversation she looks at me and said that was true, people who mind don't matter, but that I always would.

In life sometimes the best thing we can offer someone is the freedom to pursue their dreams, and with a kite string we lovingly remind them how to come home. To themselves. To what matters. To the truth.

This very special sister whom I've not known since childhood, but will know a lifetime...

I'm thankful to be included in your story, your journey, your mission, your future.
Your heart, your passion, your integrity, your spirit, and your sisterhood will always matter to me. Regardless of where it takes you or who you become. You will always have a home here, even if here changes. The invitation remains. Always. You are loved.


Sister! This postcard is way overdue- sorry! Thank you so much for a great Spring Break! It means so much to me to know I have a home in Virginia. You have had such a huge impact on my life in this past year and have changed me in so many ways. I hope that one day I can impact someone the way you have for me. You will always matter to me. May can't come soon enough...we will have so much fun! Thank you so much for being you.
So much Love,
Kristyn (AKA: K$ Sister)

No comments:

Post a Comment