Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

March 24, 2011

Family of Ducks

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then its a duck... right?

I have been thinking so much about sisterhood recently- its such a bond that runs so intimately deep between women in friendship and love. Then I've also thinking about how my brother loves Matt I think as much as I do, and how because of which it seems seamless to think of Matty and Bill in the same train of thought (the conversation I had with Bill tonight about The Decemberists proves this point true).

I saw Jessica, Kristyn, and Mandy last week. Courtney, Krystal, were missing from a full on reunion. But more then them, it was missing Jules, and Emily- two women that I have loved dearly in pursuit of Christ and truth, for years. I trust them with my entire heart. The good parts, the bad parts, the parts I don't know, the parts that I know well, the parts that lie and hide, and the parts that are bold and honest.

I have known family to take several shapes, forms, dysfunctions, and strengths. When I think of mine, I always think of those women. always. And I think of course... Matty. And not because the length of time I have known them, but because of the depth we are known to each other. They are active in my everyday, in big and small ways. They never let me get too far into distraction before calling me back to conversation and vulnerability. They know how to love me without asking, and they know sometimes just asking what I need means that the first step is to sit quietly waiting for the answer. We sometimes fight and argue. Our feelings get hurt and we sometimes cry. But... we laugh... and even in the silences there is an echoing of love, laughter, and light.

We are ducks.
Sometimes I lead in some grand idea or trip (Vegas baby!).
And sometimes I follow their very wise direction.
I am brought to earth by their stability and loyalty.
And my heart is made free by their encouragement to pursue my dreams.

My kids will know them.
And because of that, my kids will also know a whole different side of me.
... which makes me one very lucky duck.

Who is in your family of ducks?
Do they know how much you love them?
What are you waiting for?
Tell them! Send them a postcard!! (I did this week!)



I have been blessed with friends that have become Family. We stick together in good times and in bad. Hardships and celebrations. Laughter and tears. I would not trade a single thing. The road led me to them. We talk like Family- love like Family- argue like Family- are committed like Family. We are ducks. My life is complete with them. I just celebrated Dad's birthday and loved how 2 sisters not related by blood texted me to ask about the celebration and time with Family. Who is in your big family? Who brings you in- and draws you out of yourself? Do they know it? I pray my sisters (all of them) and brothers (all of them) know each day! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment