Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

March 9, 2011

Sierra Leone: Seth

Before my friend Seth left for his journey to Sierra Leone, he made me a funny postcard. I got it today. He left to work with Mercy Ships, and he will be gone a long time. Thankfully, we've never lived in the same place and are great at email and Facebook banter, so I will pretend that Africa is really PA, and his visits to Lexington will be a little bit more spread out.

There are many reasons why I like Seth. However, one thing that strikes me is that Seth and I met really late in the Lexington Social Scene game. He's interned at camp, and we've run in the similar social circle here. But after this last summer season he stayed around a bit, and we hung out a lot more. I tried to talk him into moving here, it didn't work. But he did come to visit a bunch and before he left last week he came down to Lexington and the text was "surprise I'm in VA", which my response was, "surprise I'm working all weekend." Thankfully we did meet up at 9pm for a visit and conversation. I like that we are good enough friends I can email him and ask him why he's single, because I think he's a great catch. And that he can email me asking me for an outrageous amount of frequent flier miles so he can upgrade his Africa plane ticket. I like that he will email a response to a Facebook comment instead of posting, or that he'll text back within minutes-- he's so quick! I like his book taste, and I plan on reading a couple he's talked about. I like that we can chat, but we can also talk- really talk about things that matter too. I like that he didn't let Drew or Matt tell me about Africa, but felt it was important to tell me himself. I like that he makes me laugh, a lot- and that he sends Christmas Cards.

My favorite thing about Seth is that he commands ease because he is easy to be around. I think that this will come in handy while living in a Foreign Country doing Ministry Outreach. I think that his spirit will beckon joy and calm in situations that instigate hostility and disorder. I'm pumped he is serving in Africa, even though I worry.

I'm thankful to know and understand travel and international adventures enough from my experience to appreciate the connection to home and how to communicate back to those we love. I am also thankful that Seth too understands the importance of including us in on his journey, for as his life and mission there is to serve, the ripple effect is huge. God will use this time in HUGE ways. It will touch us all here at home, and it will change those who are able to follow the story. Seth may be the one in Africa, thankfully due to modern technology- we are all in this together (hey High School Musical), and in prayer, friendship, emails, and letters- we are all used in the story and mission.

You can follow his blog here: Now I Can See

Thanks for the very fun and creative postcard. It made me confused at first, but then yes... I flipped it over and saw it was from you and it made complete sense. I will write, I promise. You are missed, loved, and prayed for! Africa... is just as close as PA... right?





3-2-11
Kari,
Consider this your formal invite to Sierra Leone! Also, I just (SPOILER ALERT!) really wanted to get on your blog! I'm sorry that my trip may hinder our growing friendship, but I hope you can look past that. Take care, have fun fooventures & keep being awesome. Obviously, I miss yah (so cliche).
Seth


1 comment:

  1. Yay! It seems like I mailed this forever ago, but I'm glad you got it! And thanks for encouraging words, friend!

    ReplyDelete