Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

December 19, 2011

Snow and Puppies: Alyssanne

Ladies and Gentleman. She makes an appearance.

Alyssanne is actually one of the sources of inspiration for this postcard project. At the close of last year we discussed becoming pen pals. I took that conversation to some friends and we broke down how much I missed postcards, writing them to others, but mostly as a journal of an adventure, season, and time of my life while traveling. That conversation and brainstorming idea would not have come if not for two girls, whom have only spent a handful of hours together had not prior decided to be pen pals. Through postcards.

However. Those two girls are way busy. Both pursuing jobs and opportunities to be stretched both professionally, creatively, and relationally. We stayed in touch this year mostly through Facebook. I put some pressure on A, when I realized that December would close the project for 2011 and she had not yet sent a postcard in! Blasphemy.

The story is short. I met Alyssanne while visiting my beloved friends Chris and Caroline McGlade several (can you believe that was SEVERAL?) years ago at Windy Gap. Alyssanne was an intern. We instantly hit it off. I met also then Sarah Spooner whom continues to delicately and profoundly play a role in my writing, and life. Those two ladies are two women I met and loved instantly while enjoying a game night hosted by Chris and Caroline.

I think if Alyssanne and I could both coordinate a long weekend off and met up in some fantastic location, we would be best friends (though, I do not believe the location needs be fantastic, I think we could have fun anywhere). I would ask her tons of questions about photography (she's an incredibly gifted artist), and the secret of getting in with Starbucks forever. She's kindhearted, encouraging, and I am inspired by both her eye for the vernacular (which I myself, am captivated by), but also her keen sense of how to photograph a soul, heart, and smile in people.

At the completion of this year, all of the images scanned and posted are going to be collected and arranged in a hardcover book. It will be a lot bigger then I originally anticipated, which is a huge blessing. I know that I will treasure it, and I will continue on, documenting life in this unique way- it really became an amazing marker of my growth, the people active in my life, and how the Lord used it all to grow me tenderhearted to His purpose and path for me. The Postcard Pen Pal volume 1, would not have been complete without Alyssanne. Not even slightly. And so, here's my favorite Boston pen pal writing in about... snow and puppies. Love it and her!



Kari!
This is my long over due correspondence! Winter is finally showing up in Boston- though I'm not complaining. I do want the dog and the snow on the front of this card for xmas! I hope your season has been full of warmth and cheer and you receive everything on your christmas wish list. Stay warm and adventurous!
I hope our paths cross soon!
<3
Alyssanne

1 comment: