Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

December 17, 2011

Minnesota: Bob, SJ, and Dave.

Three friends took a road trip. They took a drive to Minnesota. Which is sort of far from Virginia. Which means that they were together for a long time. I wish. So much that I could have been able to take a peak into their banter and just listen, and laugh with them.

All three have played different roles in my life, and helped create a season of sweet friendship during my residence in Lexington. Bob and I both now live elsewhere, Dave and SJ continue to work at Rockbridge. There are things that I really appreciate and value in each of them- Bob made some of my favorite House Dinner's- like seriously. They were delicious. He was always fun to be around, and I appreciated his perspective and light he brought to our community. He might be one of the most unique people I know, and he is one of those people that I instantly enjoyed upon meeting.

SJ and I had some dinner dates that helped bring me back home after returning to Lexington last summer after a very emotionally challenged 6 months in Ohio, Oregon, China, and finally Connecticut. Some of those talks very tenderly pushed me forward and helped me focus on the healer of my heart, Jesus. She's wonderfully funny, warm, and desires deeply to share true friendship with those in her life. I appreciate that quality and attribute. I have thought often back to some of those conversations over Sushi, and I'm thankful that we were able to connect, share life- the good and the hard of it. SJ is a special piece of my story in Lexington.

Dave. Yes. There is no one in my world quite like him. We've pushed, pulled, disliked, and loved each other through a lot of life. In preparing to move to North Carolina, and the overwhelming process it was- I wanted to focus on one on one time, quality and intentional conversation with some people I had known and cared a lot about my entire time in Virginia. Dave set up a time to come over, and we talked, and we laughed and shared funny stories. He was the only person that I cried saying "see yah soon" to. When I think of how I "grew up" in Virginia- I always think of Matty and Dave. They are special. They are different. I am proud of the friendship and care Dave and I were able to mature into. There's nothing I wouldn't do for that man, and I'm thankful that we've shared Holiday meals- ventured into NYC to visit a beloved Christmas Tree, spent nights with my family in CT winning big at the Blackjack table (oh the Rhode Island and CT Christmas reunions were the BEST), we've shared heated arguments, and we've laughed. I remember one tense time we had specifically. He and I had hit a rough spot. After lunch one day at camp he came down to my office and sat down. He addressed it, he told me my friendship was worth talking out the hard stuff, and we were able to move on. I felt so loved, albeit uncomfortable because it required vulnerability on both of our parts- which he led and pursued. I always think of that specific conversation when I think of Dave. He's a great man. I admire him, and value his friendship and love in my life.

Thankful for these friends that thought to send a postcard from their road trip- and am glad that this project will come to a close in a couple of weeks with them included.




Greetings from Minnesota!

Karwee,
We were talking in the mall of america and SJ stepped on a chocolate covered oreo then we ate it.
Love Bob

Don't worry Kari... I survived the trip. <3 SJ

Love Dave
Love Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment