Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

August 10, 2011

Sisters: Krystal

This postcard took over a decade to arrive. Probably something close to 15 years. My sister Krystal and I have not been close since childhood. One could blame several different factors, though the largest of which rests most in disadvantages that came in no longer living together after our parents divorced. We each went with a different parent. I was fortunate to have been provided the opportunity to finish my High School experience in Ridgefield, because our dad chose to live in town until I finished (I was half way through when the split happened).

Krystal went to live with our mother, and after that things were never the same. In recent years however our paths have continued to cross more frequently- she and Jon came to Virginia to visit dad, then we were all reunited in Vegas for Bill and Meghan's 10 Anniversary Wedding Renewal, and then much more last year as I helped her plan her wedding. One of the best gifts that came last year, in the midst of difficult emotional terrain, was the relationship Krystal and I forged through it all. We laughed, and told stories. We filled in the blanks in questions and conversations. When in Connecticut last May, we got Dunkin Donuts coffee everyday and had our own routine when running errands coordinating her wedding. The time together was sweet and cherished.

In August last year we took probably my favorite trip... ever. The sisters went to Vegas (which of course included all my sisters: Courtney, Mandy, Jessica, and Kristyn.) Spending time with all the girls helped build joy into what was an already a profound summer. After sending everyone back to the East Coast, Krystal and I got a car and started driving West. We drove towards Bakersfield, and then up to San Francisco- and drove along the coast south to Santa Monica, then back over to Vegas. I wish sometimes we had taken video of the conversations we had, or the drama of trying to find Krystal a soft serve vanilla ice cream cone.

Krystal and Bruce came to stay in Virginia for the summer. When they arrived- it was like Gracie had met her soul mate in Bruce. I seriously have never seen puppy love quiet like the two of them had. They played and snuggled every day. It was hysterical. I honestly do not know what this summer would have looked like without Krystal and Bruce. We never fought, not even once. She never judged my lack of organization or inability to decide what was for dinner. We laughed each and every day, and when it was necessary we cried. She heard me yell at someone for the first time ever (like, I seriously yelled) and then made me laugh, "You are intimidating when you yell". She bonded with Kristyn, and cared for me and Gracie incredibly well. When she left, I cried. I had no idea I was going to be so emotional, and so incredibly proud of the journey. I literally felt like my best friend was leaving me forever, it was profound and intimate.

Below is a little list of her top Virginia memories. 15 years ago I had no idea what a choice to stay in Ridgefield with Dad would mean to my relationship with Krystal. There are moments when looking back you wonder what would have been different, or what you could have done better. However, the Lord knew the entire time the path, the journey, and what was coming. It makes me hopeful that time and circumstances do change, we do grow, cycles do end. Especially between the bonds of sisters.

(I think on this list I would add:
1. you loving how everything is a numbered list and would laugh at me- but look you made a numbered list! wahoo!)
2. waffle house profound conversations always
3. "would you be offended if I cleaned?"
4. you doing my laundry. seriously- that was awesome)


Lexington Summer 2011
1. Strawberries or Cherries?
2. Joyful Spirit
3. Baseball
4. Watching Gracie and Bruce fall in love.
5. Getting to know Kristyn
6. Being sisters again!
Being in VA was great for so many reasons, I never thought how hard it would be to leave. Thank you for everything, Love You, Miss You, Krystal

No comments:

Post a Comment