Documenting the joy and adventure found in the everyday this year, through postcards of my own and those of beloved friends.
The journey began Here.

April 10, 2011

Hong Kong: January 2008

I didn't think too much about it. I knew where this was, and I pulled it out. I haven't posted on a Sunday in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to be sure to get this done today before it was Monday. I didn't read it all the way through until I went to type this entry out.

What this postcard honors is the perseverance and survival of a journey. Both a beautiful and stretched time. I had been truly hurt by a friendship on the trip, and struggled with pulling out of it.

This postcard is perfect for today. Especially after my rant and rave on my other blog about how angry I am about something else. This postcard reminds me to keep moving forward. But that taking the time to reflect, explore, and to acknowledge the struggle also allows healing to come. Don't rush it. It will come. I didn't know that part well enough during or after this trip. I rushed everything.

Now I have sensed an ease about me return. I like it, even if its hard.
Because its real. It's where I am, and who I am and right now thats a great place to be.




1/18/08
Dear Self:
1) You did it. You made it across the globe and you survived. You survived the village, the wrath of Mark, the mercy of Tiff's plans- the motorbike accident... you got through it all. You doubted the way you and you worried about your long term success in such a place- but its almost done and you are better.
2) You love the MRT & Disneyland. You found comfort in Starbucks and you had time to think. Perhaps not the best way to utilize a different country but you went with it. You struggled being so far away from home and that struggle is and was real. Don't forget the voice of reason and sense you've heard in the past 4 weeks. Pray about remembering. Hold onto the moments. Be thankful. Drink lots of water. Look at your photos. Exist. Love. Continue to dream.
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment